Saturday, October 11, 2014

My day as a pin up girl

Wow! Clearly it has been some time since I last blogged. So what's the deal? Well, I have a full-time job, two growing boys, an amazing boyfriend (that term just doesn't do him justice) and a new, yet old home.
During the summer, my friend, Lydia, posted some amazing pin up style photos she had taken with her best friend. I hate admitting it, but I always wanted to have professional photos taken, particularly photos with a classic and glamorous shine to them. Growing up, I always thought I was somewhat cute. I was tall and thin, supposedly the attributes of a model but New York never came calling.
Checking out Lydia's photos and photos of other women on Era Exposure's Facebook page, inspired me to interview the studio for a S.H.E. article.
Era Exposures was the marriage of two photographer friends who shared a passion for making women feel empowered, beautiful and sexy. Models were of all ages and body shapes and each and every one of them had a light in their eyes that spoke of the surge of energy flowing through their veins. Sara Herzog and Sadie Haglund were friends who inspired each other into staging era influenced photo shoots. The two paired up with makeup artist Amber Trieben and various hair stylists from the area as well.
Herzog talked to a longtime family friend who owns a large parcel of land in the country and the backdrop was set. Just speaking with Herzog and Haglund and their enthusiasm practically jumped out of the phone. Lydia reaffirmed the excitement of working with the ladies.
I decided I wanted to get my feet wet. My feet have a few more miles than they did when I was a lanky 15-year-old, fresh out of braces with the hope I would somehow land on the cover of Seventeen. Despite being active and conscientious of my eating, I kept gaining weight. I had been through this cycle before. This time it seemed insurmountable. I felt like I was facing a demon and it was my own reflection.
Zach had come home from work the Friday before my photo shoot and wanted to take me out to dinner. How could I possibly decline such a lovely offer? I was fine until he came downstairs, looking exceptionally dapper in his oxford and argyle sweater vest. I had been choosing shirts with ample room to camouflage my larger stomach and disappearing waistline and now I had to somehow match his put together look. I changed into five different shirts before I shouted down the stairs that I wasn't hungry and had decided to just head to bed. I also declared that I wasn't going to make the photo shoot because I had already determined that nothing there could possibly fit me, let alone be flattering.
It didn't happen that way. The pain in Zach's eyes from my hurt was excruciating to see. This man loves me beyond words, he is the one I dreamed of so many years ago but failed to hold out for. So he took me out, made me laugh and reminded me of what really matters and that it is my heart that makes me beautiful, not a dress size.
Zach's love carried me through to the next morning. It didn't take much to wake up. Crisp fall air, sunshine, blue skies and reassuring words. We wound our way to the house in the country and walked into a cozy house brimming with laughter. I was excited to meet the two women who made the brave decision to follow their passion.
It was a party atmosphere with hot chocolate, moscato and coffee. There were women with curlers in their hair, pouty red lips and retro dresses, complete with crinoline. I found myself edging near that sense of dread and panic when I had to select my wardrobe but I was drawn more by the desire to feel beautiful and the assurance of all the people gathered to have fun.
I chose two dresses and two pairs of heels. I stepped out and expressed my worry over being able to style my very short hair into a retro look, but I was in good hands. Then my transformation was heightened with the application of makeup. As a bit of a tomboy, I tend to lean toward a more "natural" look so it was a new world to wear false eyelashes and dramatic eye makeup.
What made this experience amazing more than anything else was the encouragement of the other women and hearing Sara and Sadie verbalize the passion and joy they take in capturing the light of confidence in their models. After nearly every snap of the lens, the two sound as though they are seeing a sunrise for the first time. It is their excitement that is contagious, their love of their craft that sparks the confidence in the models. It is because of their humor, their distinguishing eye that they are going to continue to grow and give more than just this clumsy and insecure girl a day they will never forget.

Visit the talents of Era Exposures here https://www.facebook.com/EraExposures

No comments:

Post a Comment