Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Diet Fit

As part of my job, I have the good fortune of getting to review books. Often the books I read are unedited and I get a sneak peek into what may be on the next New York Times bestseller list.

I just recently received a weight loss book, "The Case of the Unwanted Pounds," by Dr. Stutman, M.D. It is a food and exercise regimen with the hope of losing up to 15 pounds and 3 inches in the first 21 days. The plan alters a little after the first three weeks, but that is a pretty hefty weight loss for a short time frame. It is also a relatively simple concept. Daily food intake should include no more than 35 grams of fat and at least 35 grams of fiber. The fitness portion includes walking 35 minutes a day, six days a week and including one-two pound weights on three of the six days.

I decided to begin on a Monday following a weekend of debauchery. I weighed in at 159.8 lbs (that is a lot for me) and thought about how I was going to manage eating enough fiber in order to satiate my Sumo wrestler type appetite. I had an egg cooked in olive oil with two veggie sausages, a cup of coffee with creamer. Once I got to work, it didn't take long for the rumbling to begin. I filled my water bottle and dug out my apple.

The hustle and bustle of work helped with getting my mind on other matters but it wasn't long before I was dreaming of deep fried deliciousness that is McDonalds French fries, but fear not! I went to Subway and though my choice could have been even better, it still was not a heart attack in a bag.

Dinner is probably my greatest challenge because I am always extremely hungry and seem to never make either of the boys happy with my selections and while impatiently waiting for water to boil, meat to brown I scarf down salty potato chips. Last night, I sauteed chicken breast tenders with mesquite seasoning, chicken flavored rice and salad.

Walking just 35 minutes was hard for me to accept as my entire workout, but I did it. I envied the runners to the right ad left, but I proudly walked to the tunes rockin out in my MP3.

So with this, we shall see how I progress because I hope to ultimately lose 20 pounds and a total of 10 inches. Wish me well!

No comments:

Post a Comment