Thursday, March 1, 2012

What A Walk Can Do

It's amazing what crisp air, relative quiet and taking a walk will do for the creative regions of the brain.

I decided to take my dog, Charlie, for a brisk walk and hopefully tire him so he didn't whine incessantly to go outside for a mere five minutes then whine to bet let back inside. This goes on and on throughout the day, much like toddlers enjoy the game of "dropsie".

The purpose of my walk was not completely selfless. It was a means for me to forget about the horrible week I have had. My flawless work record suffered a black eye Tuesday when I was reprimanded for going above and beyond for the sake of a customer. I know, I'm a jerk. The entire meeting was a total convergence of whipping post, humiliation and undeserved anger. It was so pleasant, I temporarily regressed to the weak and defenseless abused woman I was so many years ago.

The second fun event of this week was learning that I will not have a nickle to spend of a federal tax refund. My soon to be ex-husband's ex-wife is getting more than half and the other portion will pay the mortgage that fell behind several months. There goes my dreams of a laptop and attending my nephew's wedding.

On the cusp of the weekend I am trying to stay sure footed and look ahead. I take walks so I can make mental lists and calm down. I also needed to get some form of exercise since the evening's tax preparation cut into my weekly yoga class.

Back to the walk. I was approximately half a mile east of the house and started to walk north when very suddenly a deep and guttural growl emerged from the depths of Charlie's chest. His hackles were up and he was defensive and scared. He looked like he was readying himself to tear into his mortal enemy. I have never seen my dog react so strongly and look so threatening. I trust my dog. I often think animals are better judges of character than people. Animals aren't deceived by lovely clothes, titles or desired addresses. Dogs rely on their basic instincts. They sense fear or anger or a threat. I crossed the street and Charlie continued to glare at the house until were far enough past.

What did he see? What was he hearing? What was it that I could not sense? I was trusting my dog's basic instinct to remove us from whatever unseen threat he was feeling. Could it be the heavy and sometimes oppressive darkness that seems omnipresent as of late? Whatever it was, it sent chills throughout my body.

I am back in the warmth of the house. The dog is lying quietly in his bed and yet I can't shake the feeling that we avoided something potentially dangerous and harmful. I am also reflective on my need to be positive, move forward and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment